It seems that most PC headsets connect the tip and ring together, so
they can take bias from either, and that connecting the tip and ring
when bias is turned on in the KX3 creates some anomaly. Fortuitously,
the voltage on the ring, presumably pull-up intended for the PTT
input, seems to suffice as bias.

I had a custom Y adapter in my junk box that split a TRS plug to two
TRS sockets, with the tip going to one and the ring to the other (for
cloning an Icom 2m/440 mobile). When I connect my PC headsets through
this adapter (so breaking the ring connection) they work normally with
respect to KX3 bias configuration.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML