Hi Gang:

While it's nice to be able to get a "big show" discount... the fact is that those who attend the event are spending a great deal more money then a buyer who just orders on line or over the phone. Those buyers are spending quite a bit for food, lodging, and travel. I submit, that it's much more cost effective to simply buy on line. I'd wager it would cost me over $500 just to be able to walk through the boneyard... and not buy anything.

Granted, seeing a product at a show, talking to the vendors, talking to fellow hams and friends, has value.. and that's what you get when you attend a show. That can certainly help you make a decision of buying a particular piece of equipment. Since the vendors have to ship an inventory to shows, I wonder how it is that they are still able to offer discounts. I guess it's due to the volume of sales. And yes, there's some wonderful buzz when a new item debuts at a show, and certainly Dayton is the benchmark of big shows.

So, I'm not going to complain about not getting a discount. If I travel that far, (from EPA to Dayton), I want to see my grandkids... the heck with radio gear! After all, I didn't have to spend extra money to stay home. And the money I saved might just buy me a new toy or two. :)

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211