From: "Fred Smith" <m...@mo-net.com>
To: "'KY6R'" <rhol...@comcast.net>, <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] Musings on a K4
Date: Thu, May 23, 2013 5:41 am

I know for a fact that I wouldn't buy one and price has nothing to do with
it. A 400w transceiver is worthless IMHO and any built-in Panadapter is just
like the rest. The KPA500/KAT500 is a better choice and if they problems you
pull it out for repair and still able to use radio same for P3/SVGA.

Other than those two you have a K3 with a P3 and KPA500 a much better setup
plus it runs on 12v. Sorry I can't see any advantage with those add-ons in
fact they would be draw backs. I sold my FTDX-5000MP that I owned for 2 yrs
and now have 2 K3's one fully loaded, a full line as you put it on that one
with the KPA500 for 6m and on the main loaded one an Alpha amp just HF. The
FTDX-5000MP was a very good radio in many respects a few of them better than
the K3 but you see what I choose. As I tell many people as far as I know
there has never been a perfect radio....yet!

Don't tell anyone but my KX3 has to be close to the best QRP all mode ever
made 8>)

The TS-990 still has no test results released yet and I personally have no
use for 130+ knobs and buttons that may only be used once during setup for
many.

I have a few things I might wish for on a K4 but very few and all could be
done with a couple of new boards and small items. Keep it "SMALL" once I got
used to it it's great!

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser #'s 6730/5299--KX3 # 2573--K2/100--KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2