I completely agree. I invested in a moderately priced soldering station and a binocular magnifier. I already had a PanaVise to hold circuit boards and I built a simple device to hold components in place. Done right, however, a kit would include a solder mask and be the right size to stuff into a typical toaster oven. Either way, (hot air gun or toaster oven), a KX2 would be a joy to build. Surface mount is challenging. But, it is also the future. Thru-hole is fast becoming obsolete. It would seem appropriate for the company the leads the kit industry, to take us to the next step: a true solder-it-yourself surface mount kit.

As a toe-hold, I would enjoy seeing a KØ - a surface mount, single band, cw rig with interchangeable band modules, digital display, decent superhet receiver, 2-3 watts out, with a built-in, rechargeable and possibly interchangeable li-po power source. Follow this with a KXØ that provides a similar single-band approach and arcitecture. But, manages 10 watts out for SSB and includes RTTY, PSK and CW encoding/decoding through a built-in USB interface (or, better yet - Bluetooth) . Another approach would be to place control of the KXØ completely in a tablet or laptop. Imagine using a 7" Android tablet connected to a small, light box that has complete rig control and a spectrum display, putting out 10 watts on SSB or 5 watts on PSK or RTTY.

This approach, will without question, be done by somebody, someday. Its just a question of when and who. Think of it as an "app for that" on your tablet or smart phone for ham radio that connects to an external device via Bluetooth. That would be truly future-thinking... Elecraft really should be first with this concept. They reinvented kit-building in 1999 with the K2. Who else could and should do this?

72, 73 de KØDXV -- Doug, Clark, CO  BTU...