Ian,

On 5/26/2013 5:39 AM, Ian White wrote:
The problem is that any modification has to work within the very tight
space behind the rear panel of the KXV3 module. There is >>barely<<
enough space to install a tiny PC board behind the RX ANT IN and RX ANT
OUT connectors, with very tight limits on what can be included on that
board. The track layouts had to be designed with a step size of 0.025in
and in some places the tolerances were even tighter than that.

I'm talking about a solution that would switch the RX IN/OUT connection
from the rear panel to board connections on the "KXV3B" much the same
as is done for XVTR IN/OUT in the KXV3A.  That means one is not dealing
with the narrow space between the KXV3 and KXV3 connector board and
all returns would come from the KV3B board.

Wayne has acknowledged that the K3 can sometimes be lacking in
sensitivity on 6m, and has stated that the external PR6 module is
Elecraft's solution.  I wouldn't expect that position to change
significantly.

The external module is a workable solution for a single band and
I understand the difficulty in changing out the broadband bipolar
preamp or adding an alternate preamp in the current signal flow
but this would be a reasonable alternative for those who do not
want/need the internal transverter.

BTW, I looked at your web site and don't find any information on
calculating NF from MDS ... just curious.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV