I had an issue on 2m with birdies from my "then new" NetGear N300 w/ wireless router to my FT-847. Moving to the combination of the K3 and DownEast Microwave 144/28 transverter helped and running shielded cat6 wiring the most help (clamp-on ferrites did nothing for cat5e). I did note that "most" birdies were gone when the router was powered off (computer still on). There are birdies on both 6m and 10m as well. Many go away with disconnecting the antenna so probably originating from neighbors.

Some years back we had a 2.4 GHz wireless camera monitor at the dog kennel but it got so none of the wifi channels were RFI free (just lots of parallel black bands on the TV display). I use to run 2401-MHz for ham satellites, but none are existing today so not running anything on 2.4. Our cordless phones are 5-GHz.

We have upgraded to 3-GHz DSL so it might be time to opt for a faster router. Any suggestions of models with low RFI potential? My (2) desktops are generation 2008 XP32 with no wifi. I guess to try that option would require adding wifi adapters to an USB port? I did buy an aluminum chassis with thought to shield the router (but never go around to doing it).

I suppose we should upgrade to a N750 router to take advantage of streaming video (N300 do not quite get there).

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
dubus...@gmail.com
"Kits made by KL7UW"