Hi Fred,

Waterfall Marker allows you to see and move the marker frequency on
the waterfall.  If you have CW or data sigs coming and going, you can
QSY to a transmission that's no longer active, as long as it is still
on the waterfall.  Handy for catching that fast but infrequent CQ.

Peak is very useful to characterize a voice signal.  Let the other
party go on long enough, and you have a pretty good idea of his or her
voice spectrum - for example to use for TX EQ recommendations.  You
can also use Peak to record the highest amplitude of a CW or data
signal (sometimes I use this for signal reports in SNR terms).

Freeze is a function that I use mostly to keep the Peak around long
enough to capture it using the P3 Utility.  It's also very handy for
keeping a copy of something odd in the spectrum.  In my case, I see
the spectra of alot of the in-fridge ice makers in the neighborhood.
There is PWM-driven heater element in these that puts out a ton of
broadband noise and each one seems to have its own signature.  So far,
I've anti-RFI'd four of them including ours.  I'm pretty sure the P3
wasn't developed for this purpose, but we use the tools we have.

We all have the same equipment but isn't it grand that we can use the
same P3 in so many different ways?  Remember the days of hard-coded
switches and hardware-limited functionality?  I do.

73,
matt W6NIA