I'd look at the KAT500 Utility Configuration Menu, Edit Configuration, and
make sure that the desired antennas are "enabled" for 6 meters.  Maybe ANT2
is the only "enabled" antenna on 6 meters.  If it were, it would exhibit the
behavior you describe.

The K3's ANT button selects KAT3 antenna connectors. It doesn't affect
KAT500 antenna selection.

If the KAT500 is latched somehow (on all bands) and you want to force a
firmware load,  you can force it into its boot block firmware loader by
removing the DC power connector, then press and hold the MODE button, plug
in the DC power, and after about 10 seconds a LED should start blinking. At
that point you should be able to load new firmware.  This is described in
KAT500 Utility Help.

I'd consider removing the KXUSB adapter from your PC, wait a few seconds,
and insert it again.  Then start the KAT500 Utility and see if it
reconnects.  You can view USB port inserts and removes with the Windows
Device Manager.  When you remove it, a COM port should go away, and when you
insert it, a COM port should appear. You might have to refresh the control
panel to see this. But it helps locate the right port #.

73 de Dick, K6KR