As a professional technical writer off and on since the early 1960's I can
say that the ONLY time my audience willingly devoured the written manuals
before diving in were the manuals I wrote for defusing live ordinance
(bombs) during the Vietnam war.

I write some of Elecraft's manuals, and customer support is forever noting
that a customer called about "this" (covered on page 4) and "that" (on pages
9 and 11) and the "other thing" (page 15).

73 Ron AC7AC