 From: Chuck Smallhouse <w...@theriver.com>
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:22 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] OT. Crystal Sets

Yes it most probably was galena, not geranium (wrong spell check
choice !), and the "crystal" was about 3/8" in diameter, and height,
and maybe mounted in Woods Metal not lead.  Many years later, it
seems, my first experience with a semiconductor device, was with an
IN34, crudely built (by today's standards) germanium diode.

We didn't even have any semiconductor classes or training, in my EE
curriculum, when I attended college.  I finally learned about them
later, in the excellent electronics training I got while in the
military and working on guided missile R & D at White Sands Proving
Grounds.  That and my ham radio design experience, got me
excellent  engineering job offers when I got out of the service.

Chuck,  W7CS