That is absolutely a real effect. Back in the mid-70's I was a product engineer responsible trying to sell tuning diodes to the TV tuner industry. UHF tuners in the U.S. back then were still almost all mechanical, and even though the rest of the world had pretty much already converted to electronic tuning it was a tough sell. Those RF engineers back then were VERY conservative but they really, really knew their stuff. I remember a couple of them giving me a mini-primer on how they designed a mechanical tuner, and it was fascinating. Coupling from the oscillator to the mixer was partially affected by current flow in the very heavy stamped chassis (i.e., ground) partition, and they described how if they needed more coupling they just punched a hole here and there to direct the current where it would have more effect.

It might be easy to dismiss such effects as being at VHF frequencies, but that would be a mistake. Currents most certainly do not flow uniformly in ground planes, and coupling effects can be real whenever significant gain is involved.

73,
Dave   AB7E