I have an AlexLoop, I use it with my K2 and KX1 on field events and SOTA. It replaced a Buddipole. So far as I can tell, it works about as good as the BP did in any of its various configurations. It's a small magnetic loop, it performs pretty much as the theory says. It's not real effective on 40m [too small], and the tuning on 40m and 30m is pretty critical. Much better on 20m and up.

Verticals tend to be noisier than horizontal antennas or magnetic loops, and the loop has the advantage that you can sometimes null a concentrated noise source.

AlexLoop is QRP only. I've never used the MFJ but I would imagine it would perform similary. One caution: Even at QRP powers, some serious voltages show up in small loops. I sit below my AL so I can tune it and be somewhat out of its field.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org