Let me throw some stuff out. Electrically small loops can work out very well if
they are constructed correctly. I was impressed with the Alexloop that one of
our Field Day operators brought to the site. It was used for an unrelated
station on site that the operator was using to demo his new KX3 using PSK-31 on
20 meters. He had the loop because he wanted a portable antenna that might
work. The Alex fit his needs nicely. However, there are much more effective
antennas that can be used in a fixed location.

One of those antennas is a 1/2 wave dipole up in an attic, fed with open wire
to a point below the ceiling where there is a transition to coax using a balun
and a tuner. The 1/2 wave length is dependent on room available in the attic,
and it doesn't need to be in a totally straight line. The antenna can have some
bend at the end. The antenna tuner will work out the impedance issues. I put
one of these up for a friend who has a two story house with a very high pitched
roof and enough room to install 66' of wire. He has been happy working 40-10
meters. My friend lives in an antenna restricted development just as the
initiator of this thread.

And lastly, A loop antenna made of wire the traces the outside roof periphery
using insulated wire colored to match the roofing will also work well. It can
be fed just like a loop sky wire ( shown in ARRL pubs). Your neighbors won't
see it and it can work out pretty well. I would get too anal about total wire
length as open wire is pretty low loss stuff, even at very high SWR, and a
balun and tuner will take care of the issue with coax. Just make sure that the
tuner is as close to the open wire as possible.

Antennas are fun. Every ham has his own idea about what is best. I make no
claim as to how close to best these are, but they do work. Best of luck.

73,
Barry
K3NDM