Stan,
Right on. The idea of using a 40 meter length allows the operation as described in the books as a "classical" multiband antenna. Few hams have enough space for the 80 meter version.

Don't discount using an attic that has HVAC equipment in it. The installation I described had HVAC and some power distribution in the attic. The attic was a standup attic meaning we could run the antenna wires a semi-reasonable distance from all of it. But you are correct this is not the best. Unless you have a metal roof, I can't think of any roofing material that will give you a problem, fiberglass and asphalt shouldn't. It's only been in very recent years that home owners have gotten the idea of using aluminum foil as a heat reflecting material in the attic; most fiberglass batts use a paper backing.

I agree height does make a difference. It would be better to place your attic antenna in a second floor attic vice a rancher's first floor attic. But, loops around the roof periphery seem to work also. That was used by another friend who decided to get his ticket a few years after he moved into the community that wouldn't allow antennas. His attic just was too difficult to get into and his rancher was ell shaped. The loop was the only alternative. I would never have guess that it would work as well as it did, but it did. Was it the best antenna around? No it wasn't, but it got him on the air effectively enough so that he was reasonably content.

I guess the best advice is find an old community with no antenna restrictions. If that is not possible, pick your house carefully.

73,
Barry
K3NDM