Good discussions. No silver bullet.

I am trying to decide what to do when travling, often by bike and overseas.
My current strategy is close to half wave vertical. But shooting with a
slingshot takes time. A small fiberglass pole (2 .5 folded', 22' unfolded)
may help when trees are not around.  Also, sometimes the performance is not
that good because of poor soil conductivity or lack of higher angle of
radiation.

I am tempted to have a dipole with TV line but it is an extra hassle. Also
good performance is not be there until half a wave high.

I had best luck with long wire, which can also be described as a form of
inv L. But it needs a second support.

73,
Ignacy, NO9E