Ron,
Switching preamp off does not help here. Shifting IF is the ultimate cure. Besides I need preamp on on 10-15 meters most of the time to pull out weak signals. Sometimes I need it even on 20 m.

73, Igor, UA9CDC
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron D'Eau Claire" <r...@cobi.biz>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 BC Breakthrough

If turning the Preamp off fixes the problem, that would be my first choice
as long as I can hear the noise level drop when I disconnect the antenna.

If removing the antenna doesn't cause the noise level to drop, then the
preamp is likely useful for hearing weaker signals. In a QSO I'd still turn
the preamp off to see if it affects my ability to hear the other station.

Putting too much gain at the antenna input compromises the performance of
any receiver

73 Ron AC7AC