My needs are much simpler than those involving international frequency tables,
license classes, memory locations, etc.  I haven't thought this through
thoroughly so I don't know all the ramifications.  I'll leave that all to
someone smarter than me.

I know that I am quite embarrassed to be told that I have just transmitted
outside the legal US band (usually involves DX pounces) and would like to be
reminded if my inattention causes me to do that.  I see *self enforcement* here.

I could envision a "Band Marker" that could be set by the K3 user personally.
Tune the VFO to the band (or sub band) edge you'd like to be notified of.  Say
14.000.  In the menu you find "Band Marker".  Select that option and the
software creates a tone (beep if you will) on 14.000.  If you wanted to be
alerted that you are passing the high end of the 20M band, simply set your VFO
to 14.350, and, in the menu, select "Band Marker".  BEEP created.  Same process
to mark the CW, RTTY, etc sub-band if that's your desire.

The K3 owner could be free to opt for doing this or not, as well as for which
bands, license privileges or mode sub-bands he wished.  Nothing forced.  All on
the operator (and sw guys like Lyle, of course).  No software tables, band
lists per country or license classes involved. Nothing to force a transmitter
shut down.  It would simply be an *operator assigned* aid for the *convenience*
of the individual operator.

Of course, this would not help direct frequency entry band errors, instant
spots, etc.  Just thinking through my keyboard.  ;o)

Thoughts?  Someone will probably tell me that this already exists in the K3.
;o)

Terry, W0FM