There's a niche in the ham radio market that once was filled by the Yaesu
FT-736. Even though it's semi-obsolete technologically, mediocre in receive
quality, and known to have a number of maintenance issues, the '736 still is
going on eBay for $700 to $1,000, depending on which modules it has installed.

So my "ideal" for a new K-line would be a K3-sized "box" that would essentially
be a motherboard providing a 50 mHz transceiver and IF strip, with daughter
board slots for a number of transverter boards, starting at 2 meters and going
all the way to light....well, at least to 1296.  I'll call this the K4 for
convenience.

Alternatively, one could design a single box that would contain multiple
transverters, which would plug into the K3 transverter input.  This would no
doubt be less costly, since it would not need to replicate the K3 transceiver
circuitry to provide 50 mHz IF strip and the 6 meter  transceiver.  Preamps
would be built into the new K4 or K-Line daughter boards, rather than attaching
to the BNC plugs on the K3. This product might be called the XV-ALL.

Either product/rig would be great for VHF-UHF contesting, moon-bounce (I think
the original market target for the '736) and other weak signal V/UHF work.

Frequency switching should be provided on each board so that the entire
available band (e.g. 420-450 Mhz) would be available even with an IF strip of
only 4 mhz wide.  And, ideally, some way to allow 70 cm repeater work even with
the standard 5 mhz repeater offset on that band.

The "footprint" for the main circuit board of XV series transverters is about
50 square inches; a daughter board running front to back and standing edge-on a
K3-sized motherboard would have about 25 square inches, so you might need two
boards for each band module, or perhaps engineered from scratch it could be
shrunk to fit. It should be relatively easy to fit four daughter boards into a
fully separate "k-4" and perhaps 6 into an XV-ALL. The latter would give a weak
signal VHF enthusiast access to 2M, 1.25m,70 cm, 33 cm, 23 cm, 13 cm, and maybe
one or two more if you picked up 2M with a KXV2 in your K3.

We'd love to see separate amps in the 100 to 300 watt range for each band, as
well....since this is all wish-list stuff anyway.

Meanwhile, thanks to the folks at Elecraft for building and supporting great
radios!

Lew

Lew Phelps N6LEW
Pasadena, CA DM04wd