I was in the Czech Republic last month for a caving conference. A large number of us were traveling on a railroad from Prague to Brno in a hired dining car. The only beer available on the menu was Budweiser. We Americans almost rioted until the Czechs explained that the beer was Budvar, a German light larger whose maker is in a trademark dispute with the American Budweiser.

American craft brewers, a movement started by Fritz Maytag's Anchor Steam beer, make creditable beers. This movement is similar in goals to the British Real Beer movement. Good locally made beers are available almost everywhere in the US these days at small breweries with attached pubs and in stores.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV/1