In my experience with commercial (and to a lesser extent Military) CW
operations, one of the most important skills an operator had to have was the
ability to copy a huge variety of fists, speeds, spacing and weighing.

There is a lot of pride in being able to copy accurately even when the
sender was whacking a straight key with his left foot and had the hiccoughs
at the same time.

I liken copying a wide range of fists to learning a language and discovering
that fluency also allows one to understand someone who does not pronounce
words correctly.

Reading a bad fist is one of the pleasures of CW on the Ham bands for me
because almost every one of those Hams who I've had the pleasure meeting is
trying hard to improve.

I'm a firm believer in doing something badly at first, if necessary, in
order to learn.

73, Ron AC7AC