On 8/22/2013 8:22 PM, KENT TRIMBLE wrote:
Au contraire, Ron . . .

Those of us who work the NTS nightly can identify stations by a single
dit.

True. As a teen, I was very active in NTS in the mid-50's. Of course, electronic keyers were just showing up, all HB, and none of us had any problem identifying each other just from the fist and sound. College followed by the military and a family sort of ended all that for me and when email arrived for the masses, I assumed NTS was dead.

About 2 years ago Jim, K9JM, told me NTS wasn't dead and sort of badgered me into checking into NCN, the No Cal section net. He was sort of right, while not in the greatest of health, NTS still has a pulse. With one exception NCN is all OT's, several using bugs and one on a straight key, and on Wed when I'm NCS, it's rare I don't know who it is before hearing the call.

To the poster who was proud of his ability to copy atrocious code, all I
can say is . . . I was equally proud of my ability to sit through my
daughter's Suzukilessons when she was 4 years old.  But I much prefer
listening to her play Shostakovich at age 32.

The poster was me, and I definitely don't want to go back to the old days. I was a little younger then, working ships at sea with 5KW and humongous antennas was cool, and bad signals and fists were just a little speedbump in the "cool." At my current age, I'll take the sound of today's CW bands.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org