Julie,

First of all, I assume you are trying to use the KX3 with a soundcard
application like FLDIGI with the KX3 in Data A mode???  Operating in the KX3
PSK mode (PSK-D) is a bit different, and only certain software packages support
it.

Re:  "The other day I succeeded in setting Mic Btn to OFF but today when I go
to the menu the only choices for Mic Btn are PTT and NR..."

I assume you mean "NA" rather than "NR".  The menus are mode sensitive meaning
if you are in a mode where that menu selection doesn't apply, it doesn't allow
you to select it and usually says "NA".  I think mine gives me NA when I am in
Data A mode.  I am sure it does when in CW mode.

Re: "Has anyone succeeded in using a LAPTOP with KX3 without an iMic or a
signalink for PSK?"

Yes.  I use the internal soundcard on all my computers.  IF you are trying to
decode the IQ output at the same time, you will need a second soundcard, but
don't worry about that yet.  I go directly into the computer's mic input and
take sound out of the phones output.  Setting up the internal computer settings
is the hard part.  Every operating system is different.  I normally use an
i-Mic because it is inexpensive and works well, even on my Windows machines,
and avoids transmitting system sounds.  I do not see any need for Signalink,
attenuators, etc. All of that just makes life more difficult.

Re:  "Would Don Wilhelm's comments about attenuators being needed between
computer soundcard and KX3 apply to laptops as well? How would I know? What
could I measure?"

I have tried them, but find that they just confuse the issue.  They create
another variable that you have to deal with.  I just use the Elecraft cables
and connect directly.  On RX, the soundcard volume (and the KX3's volume
control) affect the waterfall intensity.  If either of them are too low, you
won't see anything on the waterfall...to high, and you will only see very
bright colors.  For Transmitt, the soundcard volume affects the ALC setting.
You don't want to get into ALC since it is a non-linear process.  See the KX3
manual and your software docs for setting soundcard volume (and ALC).

Re:  "I had a waterfall the other day but could not get TX to light up..."

What software package are you using?  The setup varies for different software
packages.  In addition, sometimes the soundcard gets put on mute.  Other times,
software (other than your ham radio software) will change the volume settings.
You may need to go to the operating system's soundcard settings  and adjust
them every time you start up you ham radio software.  That is why a lot of hams
will use a dedicated computer(s) for their operations.

Not much help here.  Just trying to give you encouragement.

Mark
KE6BB