HI all

I have just about finished upgrading my K1 now (4 band module and backlight)

The current drain is about 65-75mA ,depending on volume setting about 70mA
for normal listening.

I have fitted 2400mA cells that just fit .

I have checked the current drain at 4 watts from these cells and it seems
about 1000mA (1Amp)

So I have worked the following out but would just like a check done

Irx = 60

Itx=1000

Tx duty cycle 50% (since CW)

Ratio tx/rx  25%

So in one hour I would be in tx mode for 15mins drawing 1000mA but since
it’s at 50% duty that’s 500mA for 15mins

Which works out to 250mA for 30 mins or 125mA for 1 hr

Plus the rx drain of say 70mA so that’s 70mA/Hrs

Total drain then is 125+70=195mA/Hr

Since I have 2400mA/Hr cells that’s 2400/195=12.3Hrs use

That just seems at lot of use at 25% tx/rx ratio and with 4 watts output
power but it seems right to me., anyone confirm ?

One more little mod I have done to the K1 (which I know I will be shot down
in flames for !)

I wanted the cells in the K1 to be kept topped up ready for action so I
found a pin on the on/off switch that only gives 12volts out when the switch
is in the OFF position

>From this pin I took a feed to the cells via a 1amp diode and series
resistor to limit the current to about 25mA on a fully charged pack and
about 50-60mA on a flat pack.

This only supplies charge to the cells when the k1 is connected to external
power and turned off ,so if using the K1 in the field off a gel pack or

 the like it does don’t add extra drain to the pack when the radio is turned
on , when the radio is turned off if you want to save any drain to the pack
just unplug it!

It works for me.

All the best

Paul