Paul:  Here's the way I'd figure it out:

Transmit current = 1000 ma
Receive current = 70 ma
Xmit duty cycle = 12.5% (25% transmit x 50% duty cycle while transmitting)
Average current drawn = 0.875 x 70 ma + 0.125 x 1000 ma = 186.25 ma.

Using a 2400 ma hr battery, you'd think you could get 2400/186.25 or 12.9 hours from that battery. However, I think you'll find you'll get less than that in practice. I'm not familiar with the K1, but transmitters usually draw more current as the supply voltage drops, assuming the power out stays constant. Also, the battery is rated at 2400 ma hr, only if it is discharged over 20 hours. This means you should be able to draw 120 ma from it for 20 hours. But you couldn't drawn 1 amp for 2.4 hours. My guess is that you could use the K1 for at least 8 and maybe 10 hours at that duty cycle. That's still a long time. I'm sure my fist would get tired way before the battery died. If you took a break or your transmit duty cycle wasn't really 25%, you could get close to the 12 hours.

73's,

John AA0VE

Paul Webb wrote:

HI all

The current drain is about 65-75mA ,depending on volume setting about 70mA
for normal listening.

I have fitted 2400mA cells that just fit .

I have checked the current drain at 4 watts from these cells and it seems
about 1000mA (1Amp)

So I have worked the following out but would just like a check done

Irx = 60

Itx=1000

Tx duty cycle 50% (since CW)

Ratio tx/rx  25%

So in one hour I would be in tx mode for 15mins drawing 1000mA but since
it’s at 50% duty that’s 500mA for 15mins

Which works out to 250mA for 30 mins or 125mA for 1 hr

Plus the rx drain of say 70mA so that’s 70mA/Hrs

Total drain then is 125+70=195mA/Hr

Since I have 2400mA/Hr cells that’s 2400/195=12.3Hrs use

That just seems at lot of use at 25% tx/rx ratio and with 4 watts output
power but it seems right to me., anyone confirm ?