Slater,

There is no harm to be done as long as the outside power supply voltage is
higher than the battery voltage - with your 14.2 volt supply, that supply
should operate the K2 while also charging the internal battery.  It is the
situation where the external supply is less than the battery voltage that
requires the switch be turned off (with the switch in the ON position, the
battery will supply the K2 until its voltage drops below the external supply
voltage).

The internal battery will not charge with the switch in the OFF position -
but it would seem from you post that it had been ON for some time and the
battery failed to charge for some reason.

If that is the case, perhaps you do have something wrong with your wiring.
Check the orientation of the diode and the wiring of the resistor,
unfortunately these components are now ensconced inside the heat shrink, so
you would have to remove the heatshrink to check - do that only if the
following items do not check out properly:

One way to check the resistor is to do a continuity check - disconnect the
wire at the battery positive terminal, make certain the switch is in the ON
position, and check the resistance fron the Faston connector to the red lead
on the Aux DC connector - you should measure close to 6.2 ohms.  Next switch
your DMM to read diode forward voltage drop and use the same points for the
probes - you should find the voltage drop to be 0.2 to 0.3 volts (you may
have to reverse the probes).  If either of these readings is incorrect, open
the heat shrink and check your wiring against the diagram in the manual.

The other thing you can do is check the voltage at the battery terminals
with your 14.2 volt supply connected and powered on (remove the faston
connector from the battery for this check) - you should read 13.8 to 14.0
volts with a power supply delivering 14.2 volts (this voltage will be lower
when the battery is connected unless your battery is fully charged).

If everything above checks out OK, read the battery voltage directly with
your DMM.  If you read something less than 13.2 volts, the battery is not
fully charged - reconnect the battery, connect your 14.2 volt power supply,
put the internal battery switch in the ON position and wait 2 days before
checking the voltage again - if it is still low (and the wiring checks out
good), you may have a bad battery on your hands.

I believe that covers most all the bases on the internal battery situation -
there is nothing really complex about it - the resistor should limit the
current to the battery and with your 14.2 volt supply: - if the battery
voltage is 9.6 volts, the current will be about 700 ma, but with a fully
charged battery (13.2 volts terminal voltage), the charging current will be
about 32 ma.

73,
Don W3FPR