On 9/13/2013 11:27 AM, Bill Blomgren (kk4qdz) wrote:

Just a few hz away there was the marine net on 14.300 that was
booming in from Texas. - NO problem hearing them.. but 14.3035? Nope.
Nothing.

14.3035 is a less than great choice of frequency. The maritime nets on 14.300 [there's more than one] firmly believe they own the frequency and are there daily. They're billed as "maritime emergency nets," although 99% of the checkins are definitely not afloat, and all that I've heard in several years that are afloat are tied up to a dock somewhere [I suppose it's possible to sink at a dock]. I sometimes leave 14300 on when I'm working in the shack.

There was traffic up at 14.305 something.. so I know the antenna was
working.. just not catching Atanta...(I was probably where he was
hitting the ionosphere..)

I haven't ever checked into the SSB net, maybe I will try this Sunday. I do get into Kevin's CW net on 40 on occasion, but with the untimely departure of N0SS [SK], Kevin is just too close for 20 and by the 40m netI'm usually at dinner.

It is common on many nets to call for QRP, Mobiles, etc. I've sort of equated it to the 2 Silent Periods each hour when maritime comm was CW [well ... MCW]. I'll see what happens Sun.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org