Y'know, most of the DX I work is on "dead bands", usually 20 meters for me.
I'll tune up and down for a few minutes hearing absolutely no one. So I find a
quiet spot.

Not always, of course, but often enough that I'm no longer surprised a DX
station calls me sometimes from halfway around the world, literally. And we
QSO. Better, we often chew the rag. Only rag chewers seem to haunt the 'dead'
bands, no matter where we live.

The downside is that, after a few minutes - if we're lucky it's ten or fifteen
- carriers start appearing on frequency or within a few hundred Hz. We've been
spotted on the Internet. I've even had a station call me on top of the DX
station's transmission asking me to stop so he could work the guy.

We take the hint and QRT and I hear the pileup descend on the frequency, sigh.

I take a break, glad I'm not the guy who just wanted a quiet rag chew and who
once again finds himself the object of a pileup. In their favor, I must say
that while "reading the mail" I've yet to hear DX station who didn't respond to
the calls politely.

73, Ron AC7AC