I have a very early K2 that I use for field operations. It functions as an
emergency communication source for serious
backcountry trips (multi-day wilderness whitewater rafting, etc.). I am
finding that a power output of, say, 20W would be
desirable as a compromise between more reliable communication and battery
usage. My K2 puts out about 14W. Thus I
ask the experts: has anyone revamped the TX RF stages sufficient to put out
20 -25W output? Yes, I know this amounts
to only a dB or two. But it can be the edge needed in very marginal
conditions.

Second issue. The K2 has always been on the low side for RX audio. Being no
longer a young buck, my hearing is not
perfect any more. Is there a known mod to add 5-10 dB to the audio chain
without drastic distortion? Presently I take along
a Radio Shack headphone 3-way amp that gives about that. It works fine but
is yet another piece of gear to bring along and
doesn't feed the internal speaker. When I had a KX1 (now sold) it had been
modified to have a second audio amp chip put
in and it really helped. Has anyone done a similar thing for the K2? I am
not a EE by any means so would prefer to follow
known modification paths.

Anyone?

--
73     Allan    K7GT