Vic, I don't know how to model. It's on my bucket list.  However, my personal opinion is that while modeling may give a general starting point, all bets are off once the antenna - especially an indoor antenna - is actually put in place.  You've got a point about Italy not exactly being "west" of me.  In fact, IZ2GRG bears 55 degrees.  But this still bodes well for the Omni Angle in that it's omnidirectional and did a heck of a job on rescuing his signal from a fixed doublet looking the wrong way.  This just points out one more nagging constraint we antenna-restricted hams have to deal with:  the direction our homes face!

To offer one more nugget from my inventory of sometimes weird solutions to being antenna-restricted:  My attic doublet is always up and ready and connected to a 6 way antenna/transceiver coax switch.  I have two more coax cables running outside and usually, I put up one of my other "non-permanent" antennas which is always vertically polarized -- either a PAR EndFedZ  or a 40-6 meter EFHW also vertical.  My third antenna is a 53 foot random wire at 28' that terminates in a 9:1 BalunDesigns UNUN and it's outside and "stealth."

But the 44' doublet in the attic clearly and consistently outperforms everything in my arsenal except the new Omni Angle which has been interestingly competitive as noted.

I have no idea how the Omni Angle would work indoors, in an attic for example.  Frankly it has such a small footprint and is so light and rapid to erect that I probably will never bother to try it there.  However, it could easily be installed in an attic or even near the ceiling in a room. This is because of the easy way it assembles and disassembles; not a problem assembling it around and between the attic framing.  And at 2.5 lbs I suppose a simple plant hangar in the ceiling would hold it up easily.

In closing, I consider myself extremely fortunate to have found antenna solutions that allow me to enjoy enjoy QRP to the fullest extent.  I wish everyone else the same good fortune.  And Thank God for the invention of collapsible fiberglass poles!  Where would we be without them??

73,Stan WB2LQF

 On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 03:21 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

 > Stan,

Interesting. I did a quick EZNEC plot of the pattern of a 44' doublet (close to a full wavelength) at 30' on 18.07 MHz and didn't see any deep undefineds in the horizontal pattern. But in the direction of Italy from NY it is down about 5 dB from the maximum gain in the E-W direction. I recently modeled the 'cobweb' antenna, which is a 'square' dipole similar to the Omni-angle configuration; it had a maximum gain of about 2 dB less than a dipole and would be down an additional 1.4 db in the direction of Italy.

So my guess is that about only 1.6 dB of the difference between the dipole and the Omni-angle antenna came from the patterns. The rest could be attributed to the location of the doublet in the attic and the dropped ends (I didn't model this, but I suspect it has an effect).