From: bill.va3ol <bill.va...@gmail.com>
To: elecraft list <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>; qrp-l list <qr...@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tue, Oct 1, 2013 2:35 pm
Subject: [Elecraft] Random wires

My antennas for the past few years have been Alpha Delta Dipoles (an 80/40
and a 40-10) plus an 88 foot CFZ. When I began looking for a 160 meter
antenna I came across the Balun Design website which had a 9:1 unun plus an
article on using it with a single wire for all band performance. It sounded
to good to be true and you know the old saying ...... it probably is.
Remember that I have a 125 foot run of coax to a remote antenna switch up
the hill, in my little forest so line losses due to SWR are a major
concern.

 Well, I ordered their 9:1 unun and hung a 124 foot inverted L set up at 25
feet. My experience tells me that it is worth the trouble to get it up
higher once the leaves are gone. The original radial system was 8 – 10 foot
radials, 2 - 15 foot radials and 1 - 30 foot radial.

 Here are my initial findings:

 160 meters: less than 3:1 across the band

80 meters: less than 4:1 across the band

40 meters: less than 3.5:1 across the band

30 meters: less than 1.5:1

20 meters: between 2.1 and 1.1

17 meters: between 2.5 and 2.1

15 meters: between 1.7 and 1.5

12 meters: 1.7 across the band

10 meters: less than 1.7 across the band

The above measurements were made with a Rigexpert AA-54.

 After tweeking the radials, spreading them out more and adding a few more
longer radials I used K3-EZ software to sweep each band and got very
similar results. My goal was to get access to 160 which I achieved along
with access to all of the WARC bands as a bonus. I should mention that I am
using the 5kw version to allow for the added stress of a higher than
desired SWR and an amplifier on occasion.

 The BalunDesigns.com website has the article linked from this page:
http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/the-106/9-cln-1-9-dsh-1-unun/Detail

 I have no interest in the company, etc. Etc.

 Bill, VA3OL