On 10/7/2013 5:31 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Geesh, how is that possible - twice the current equals twice as much
> heat and will exceed the capacity of the wire.

Sorry, Don ... twice the current => *four times* the heat.  Heat
(energy in Joules) = Watts * seconds.  One Joule (one Watt-second)
is 2.78e-7 kW*h

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 10/7/2013 5:31 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
Geesh, how is that possible - twice the current equals twice as much
heat and will exceed the capacity of the wire.  The current rating for a
wire is the *same* no matter what the voltage.
Also note that the safe rated current is different for wires in a bundle
and for a single wire - the heat is not dissipated as easily in a bundle.

Now if we are talking about Power delivered to the load, that is an
'horse of a different color'
twice the power can be delivered over a wire (of any gauge) at 240 volts
as opposed to 120 volts.

A bit of study on basic Ohm's Law (both for EI&R and for EI&P should
make all that clear.

73,
Don W3FPR