Hi Don,
I know you turned the KAT and KPA on before the K3 but the symptoms you
describe sound like what happens if the KAT is not turned on first, i.e.,
sounds like something is pulling the AUXBUS down.
Try disconnecting the KPAK3AUX cable from the K3 and see if the K3 comes up OK.
If it does, that will give you a clue where to start trouble shooting.
Cheers,
Fred KE7X

Fred Cady
fcady at ieee dot org
"The Elecraft K3: Design, Configuration and Operation 2nd ed"
"The Elecraft KX3 - Going for the summit"
www.ke7x.com or www.lulu.com
(Coming soon: "The KPA500 and KAT500 - the Elecraft K-Line Dream Station")