Bud wrote:

"... One reason practical SWR meters don't read the same value of SWR on a
line -- even at the same point on the line -- is because different circuit
designs may have different amounts of error, or inaccuracy, for different
amplitudes and combinations of R and X...."

------------------

That's a very important point. SWR meters are not highly accurate devices
because they do not need to be highly accurate devices.

With virtually any popular antenna system, especially on HF, a moderate SWR
has no significant impact on performance.

My first SWR "meter" was two small light bulbs connected to short lengths of
"twin lead" (300 ohm TV feed line) taped to the same sort of feed line used
to feed RF to my antenna. When the SWR was low, one bulb glowed a lot
brighter than the other when I transmitted.

That's all I needed. More than that was TMI (too much information), as they
say.

The advent of meters and now digital displays has only one advantage over
the light bulbs; they provide a numerical readout of the presumed SWR at any
given frequency. With them it's easier to see a significant change of SWR at
that frequency from day to day that might indicate something amiss in the
antenna system.

That sort of monitoring is more important than ever since modern wide range
antenna tuners will compensate for any changes, even a broken or shorted
feed line between the rig and antenna. The 'red flag' isn't the actual SWR
as much as it is an unexpected change in the indicated SWR.

73, Ron AC7AC