This subject has been discussed on the TenTec reflector, too.  I tend to agree
with K2VCO's ideas concerning the ear's ability to discern slight differences
in pitch better at low frequencies.  Bill Tippett, W4ZV, really got my
attention when he divulged that he uses very low pitches (below 300 Hz) to copy
weak signal DX.  (Bill is one of the best in the world.)  Ever since I learned
that, I've set my Omni 6 as low as it would go (400 Hz).  What's the range on
the K2?

73,
Chuck  NI0C