<Quote>
Win7 is a good choice if you can get it on new laptops.  It?s not always
available anymore and Win8 is a PIA.
<UnQuote>

Win7 is indeed OK.

Win8 is fine, it's the crappy "Metro" desktop that's bad.

There are also alternative UI's, that give you a "conventional" desktop for
Win8 if
you desire.

What I've used and setup for others, is "Classic Shell", an open source
project,
that works just fine.   http://www.classicshell.net/

Easy to install (and remove if needed!)

The price is right!  :-)   (But you can donate if you wish.)

It can be taylored to look like Win7, Vista or XP if you wish.

It works very well, start button and all.   And by default comes up after a
boot.
The Metro interface is still available if needed.

The icon in the start button by default is a blue shell, but that can be
changed if
you need, and perhaps have a screen grab of the usual suspect.

Enjoy!  My three friends I've set it up for certainly do, and they are not Ham
types, just ordinary domestic PC users....

With both W7 and W8 for Ham use, you do need to tweak the power settings, so
that the OS doesn't power down the peripherals etc (USB subsystem) after a
period of inactivity (no keyboard and mouse usage, nothing to do with any
programs running.)

However...   For small lower powered portable or older PC's, Lubuntu (linux)
takes some beating.  WiFi even generaly works OK without fuss, battery life is
good, and Fldigi/Flrig etc work very well, as does QSSTV (once you spend the
time to compile and build all the QT related dependancies.)

And of course the KX3 Utility runs on Linux too, though the way you manually
install it is more windows like, than following Linux practices, but it works
well.

I've got it all running on a second hand Acer One "net tot" PC.  If you can
find
one of them, they are brilliant bits of kit.

Other non Ham stuff?   "Stelarium" is brilliant to have too if you like the
outdoors
lifestyle.    http://stelarium.com/

Audacity of course (if not already installed) for sound recording / editing /
processing etc.

And of course, there are any number of web browsers and email tools.

I've not yet seen any Ham stuff that is realy viable/useful for Android devices
yet, also there are serious limitations connecting "stuff" (rigs etc) to them.
(Stelarium is not free for 'droid either!)

I have no experience of Mac's or iPads.   (I'm not an apple fan, I see it as
over
priced landfill for those who don't want to learn first.)

I have yet to try PcBSD.
(FreeBSD based, more Unix like than Linux, with a GUI desktop)  It is said that
Fldigi etc builds and runs on it too.

73.

Dave G0WBX.