On 12/8/2013 5:45 PM, Jeff Cochrane wrote:
Hi everyone,
Has anyone on the list replaced the Anderson powerpoles on their K3's
with something else?

No, so far no reason to.

(Something like the 4 pin plugs and sockets that are fitted to most
current YaeComWoods I guess)

I've had them, they were no more reliable for me than APP's.

Why do I want to replace them you ask?
Well, because my K3 gets around and more often than not sits on a wobbly
table whilst I'm out in the scrub or occasionally even sits in my lap
whilst I'm operating. The powerpoles has once again raised their ugly heads and
keep
disconnecting or not making proper contact and I'm fed up with them.

I do SOTA activations with my K2 [APP's between it and the battery], and I've never, ever, had them disconnect before I pulled them out. I've carried the radio around with the battery hanging from the pigtail and the coax-power connector comes out first. In truth, I've never, ever, had an APP disconnect on me when I wasn't expecting it ... and no, Anderson PP do not send me money for this.

I did buy the "approved" crimper, and I did learn how to use it. I've never had a failure. Learning how to use the crimper was not a slam-dunk, I realized finally that exact positioning in the crimper and exact orientation of the wire was critical.

I just want a connector that I can plug in and it will stay there, sadly
that has not been the case with either genuine Anderson powerpoles or
all the different brands of knock-offs.

Knock-off's ... you get what you pay for. I have used Chinese PL-259's, won't ever again, they are knockoffs, and they are hugely unreliable. And while Amphenol has not paid me to say this either, that's all I'll use. Has nothing to do with "Made in America," and everything to do with what really works ... and doesn't fail when you need it.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org