k9ew - Ed wrote:

What is your favorite antenna to take to the field or backyard.

Hi Tom,
I have two favorites: my homebrew PAC-12 vertical, and my twinlead inverted
vee.
If there are skyhooks available, I'll use the inverted vee. It only
requires one branch up about 30 feet to hang it, and the 1/8" cords at the
ends are tied off to the ground with stakes or rocks or whatever is handy.
The antenna itself is a length of 300 ohm TV lead-in which is split to form
the two legs of the vee, and continues (unsplit) for a half wavelength to
the rig. No tuner needed since the impedance will be the same as at the
center of the vee - between 50 and 72 ohms, depending on the angle at the
apex. I made mine for 20m, and the legs are about 17 feet long with a
feedline length of 29 feet. It's best if you have an Antenna Analyzer to
adjust that length. It's simple, lightweight, easy to transport, AND it
works great.
If there are no skyhooks available, I use my PAC-12 vertical. The plans for
building one are available on the Internet (do a Google search on 'PAC-12').
You can stake it into the ground, or you can mount it on a miniature camera
tripod (the treads are compatible). If it's on the tripod, I'll guy the
antenna with some 1/8" cord. My experience with this antenna is limited to
20m, but I can say that I was pleasantly surprised at how well it performed.
If you'd like any more information on either antenna, drop me a line.
73, ed - k9ew

How do you feed this one?