I have recently received a copy of a publication known as DUBUS (for those outside of Europe, this is a technical publication dedicated to VHF, UHF and SHF equipment design and operating) and one particular article caught my eye. The reason being that I'd suffered from some wide bandwidth signals from a semi-local beacon during a band opening on 23cm where the transmitted signal from the beacon could be detected over a large frequency spread. The issue, in this case, was apparently down to the power supply used by the beacon.

Now, in the article in DUBUS 3/2013 (Vol 42) a description of potential problems for various Amateur radios from the quality of their transmissions was discussed and a table of 'good', 'reasonable' and 'poor' results from tests taken from ARRL and Sherwood Engineering data (which I know people from Elecraft are often more than happy to quote, so I would guess it passes some engineering muster...) were presented showing not only the receiver performance, but the transmitter performance as well.

Without wanting to quote the whole table (there may be copyright issues of course) but the K3 came top (distant cheering heard from Aptos, CA) but the KX3 came 6th. The criteria for the ranking being a "TX Wide" measurement in -dBc and the K3 scored 128@100kHZz or 120@360kHz - which only seemed to be included as two radios from a rival company were both ranked at the bottom of the table and could muster no better than a measurement in 300 and 350kHz bandwidth) but the KX3 scored 107@100kHz.

The reason that this is important is that, in an area where people are tightly packed together, someone using a transmitter that generates significant wide band noise within a particular Amateur band is not the sort of neighbour that you want to have next to you on the VHF/UHF/SHF bands. You might be listening on, say 144.050MHz but if they are transmitting on, say, 144.350MHz then their wideband noise will affect you and, as is stated in the article, they may not even to be transmitting to generate significant signal levels.

So, to my question. As I'm interested in VHF/UHF/SHF more than HF, why is the KX3 transmitter performance worse than the K3 and, other than selling the KX3 (which I'd prefer not to do) and buying a K3 (which is attractive, but financially a bit of a problem) what, if anything, can I do to improve the 'TX Wide' performance of my KX3?

Dave (G0DJA)