Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:41 AM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] Transmitter performance

To help make this discussion clearer, there is no problem about
referencing the original article [1]. The author, SM5BSZ, has published
it on his website for everyone to see, because this topic of wideband
noise from transmitters needs to be much more widely known.

<http://www.sm5bsz.com/dynrange/dubus313.pdf>

Dave's concern is that high-level TX noise sidebands can cause problems
to other band users. HF operators never notice this problem because TX
noise is buried beneath other band noise; but it can be a very real
problem on VHF and microwaves where the background noise levels are
extremely low but signals can sometimes be much stronger than on HF.
This places extreme demands on dynamic range - not only in the receiver
(which we hear a hear a lot about) but also in the transmitter.

The KX3 qualifies as 'good enough' because its transmitter noise
sidebands are unlikely to affect anyone else's noise floor unless the
main signal is stronger than S9+40dB... and the K3 is another 20dB
better than that.

Bottom line: Elecraft users can go back to sleep :-)

[1] For full disclosure, I am a volunteer editor for DUBUS magazine
(www.dubus.org). Copyright of articles published in DUBUS remains with
the original authors, so they are free to publish in other media as
well.