From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Ray Coles
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 2:46 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3/KPA500/KAT500 SWR problem

I do hope someone out there can give me a hand in solving a 2 month old
problem with my Elecraft station, even though the problem may not be due to
my Elecraft rig at all. I had been happily operating my K3/KPA500/KAT500 rig
for about 10 months with my simple wire doublet antenna, about 25 metres
long and 5m high. I work mainly digital modes, especially JT65 so I rarely
switch the KPA500 to Operate, using it mainly as a Wattmeter. I have used it
on SSB on my local Inter-G  club net on 40m however, and everything used to
be fine and dandy at all power settings from 40W to 400W with the KAT500 set
to Auto.

THEN one evening operating at about 60W JT65 on 20m the Kat500 started
hunting and the SWR shot up into the red. Since that event the problem has
dogged me continuously. Of course, I immediately suspected a short (or open)
in my antenna system. My antenna feed used RG58 out to a 4:1 balun outside
in a convenient hawthorn bush. 300 ohm ladder line went from the balun to
the doublet T piece. Which was offset 1/3-2/3. This antenna matched, and had
bagged QSOs on all bands from 80m to 6m. The RG58 was suspect number one. I
replaced it with UR8 and used a new route to the balun which obviated the
need for any burial. THE PROBLEM REMAINED. The 300W rated balun was the next
suspect, and I already had a replacement 1kW unit to hand. I changed it. THE
PROBLEM REMAINED, but by now I had learned that if I ran the KAT500 on
Manual and kept power below 40W I could operate, and so I continued to add
DX QSOs to my log. All that was left were the aerial components, so I
dropped the antenna and changed the ladder line, the T piece the antenna
wire and the end insulators. THE PROBLEM REMAINED and it seemed that I would
be forever limited to 40W. I had an alternative antenna, an MFJ Magloop
which could be happily driven to 100+W connected either to K3 Ant2 or KAT500
Ant3 and I worked surprising DX with it, but I really wanted my lovely
Doublet back. (Forgot to mention that I also changed rig connecting leads).
Since then I have played with my rig to try and understand things better and
I am beginning to wonder whether there COULD be a rig problem. I also note
that when I start transmitting, power is always less than I have selected
and it climbs steadily to the demanded value over time. I have set up ALC as
documented. If I set power greater than 40W (this varies a little band to
band) the power climbs until....BAM!.... The SWR of 1 to 1.4 suddenly shoots
up into the Red with the KAT500 utility recording values of 5-25!

This is a weird set of observations I know, but I would be grateful for any
further suggestions from the trusty Elecraft Reflector Brains Trust.

HNY and 73,

Ray Coles, C.Eng. M0XDL

10 Littlemoor Road,

Weymouth DT3 6AA