I, too, have seen this spurious KAT500 retune problem.

I'm running a similar setup:
K3->KPA500->LP-100A->KAT500->coax->balun->ladder line->hf doublet

I'lll be happily working 75M and all of a sudden the KAT500 starts
re-tuning, and with the LP-100 alarm going off and the relays chattering in
the KAT500, it sounds a bit like all hell breaking loose.

I reverted the KAT500 to firmware version 1.32 and the problem *seems* to
happen less often...  That could be my imagination, though.  Also I think
that this has happened in MANUAL mode, as well as automatic.

Perhaps it would be useful to have an option to only re-tune during the
first few seconds of transmit?

Jeff