Dan Barker wrote:

The Radio Shack element was $1.95, looks identical to the Heil element, and
works great. The original dynamic element of the mic (from before it got
it's MH-2 nameplate) is still in there disconnected. The little electret
element is beside it.

I have to admit to operating a tiny bit of SSB. I had an old friend (since gone to his reward) who had forgotten the code and I needed to get on 75 meters to work him. He gave me one of those Radio Shack electret elements.

I got a piece of 3/4" or so PVC and a couple of PVC pipe caps, drilled one cap for the element and stuck it on the pipe. I drilled the other for the cable on the other end. While I was in Radio Shack, I picked up a cheap but solid mic stand and a little foam gadget that is used to reduce "plosive" response. It fit perfectly over the element. I put a bias resistor and blocking capacitor in the tube, and hooked it up. I painted the thing flat black.

It looked totally professional and got reports equal to or better than various other mics that I tried. The total cost was about $10.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco