Hi all,

If you're powering the KX3 and a KXPA100 from the same large 12-V battery, and
you've had a problem with the KX3 dropping power from QRO levels to 5 W, please
contact me directly. I have an experimental firmware fix for this.

This only applies if:

- the KX3 is connected to the amp via the special control cable

- MENU:PA MODE set to ON

- the power control is set higher than 10 W

In this case (with the amp in-line), there was a bug where a drop in supply
voltage to 11.0 V or lower would kick the KX3+amp into QRP mode (with the amp
bypassed).

A key-down drop below 11 V is not unusual with a moderately depleted 12-V
battery running a QRO station. With the new firmware, the user can continue to
use the amp anyway, at some appropriate power level. Of course you shouldn't
try to get the full 100 W output in this case. For example, if the voltage is
in the 11-V range on key-down, I recommend not using more than about 40-50 W.
At 10 V (which isn't even safe to us with some 12-V batteries), you're better
off using QRP levels and setting PA MODE = OFF to conserve battery power.

73,
Wayne
N6KR