Mike,

An added note - when experimenting with the AGC settings, do take heed of the information on how to evaluate the results of your changes - listen between pauses in the signal rather than listening to the noise on the band. Listening to the noise level without an intermittent signal will lead you in the wrong direction.

73,
Don W3FPR