Thanks for the suggestion, Jason!  I'll try that tonight.

After using my K2 for the ARRL November Sweepstakes Phone contest this past
weekend I became more aware of issues with noise as well.  After reading all of
the other emails about monitor noise and having recently discovered how noisy
my Viewsonic monitor is on certain (many) frequencies (easily confirmed by
turning it off and hearing the noise disappear) I was convinced that I'll be
biting the bullet and buying an LCD display or maybe asking for one for
Christmas.  While I'm not convinced that changing the refresh rate will solve
all of the noise problems associated with the monitor I'll give it a try to see
if it solves some of them.  The price is right in any case!

As a side note, another source of noise which was mentioned on this forum in
the past includes the ticking sound about once per second which was heard quite
well across the whole 40m band.  I thought it was odd to hear it on so many
frequencies, and it dawned on me that the tone of the pulses didn't change as I
tuned across the band.  I finally reallized what it was when the contest was
over and I turned off the RS232 communications between the computer and the
radio while I still had the headphones on and magically the ticking sound went
away.  I had never used the K2 connected to the computer before and had never
used 40m SSB before, so I guess it took me a bit longer to figure that out!
Guess that helps prove that you should test out configurations before an
operating event to make sure there aren't any problems, although I don't think
that problem caused me to miss any QSOs.  If I can solve this problem it would
just help reduce operator fatigue as my brain will have one less thing to
filter out.  I think in the past somebody suggested reducing the polling
interval

Mark, NK8Q
K2 4786