On 2/3/2014 10:25 AM, Gary Smith wrote:
I haven't worked RTTY since 1982 or so and have a K3. I've read the
info here:http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_operating_tips.htm#RTTY  and
then the section on RTTY operation without a computer. And the pages
suggested in the manual.

I've done this, but don't recommend it except when a computer is not available. A much better option is a P3 with the VGA module, which includes the ability to connect a USB keyboard via the P3. This setup provides very good display of decoded RTTY, CW, and PSK31 on the VGA display, the ability to send from the keyboard, and a bunch of memories. It uses the decoder in the K3, which is a VERY good one.

A lot has changed about RTTY operation since 1982 (I did it then too). There are excellent software applications that generate both AFSK and FSK, and provide excellent decoding of signals with flutter and other distortions. MMTTY is VERY widely used, and there are several others. If you're running either WriteLog or N1MM, you can add a decoder called 2Tone to MMTTY, which allows you to have multiple decoders running at the same time. This can help a lot to minimize decoding errors.

When I want to work a DXpedition, I use the combination of MMTTY and he P3 for decoding, again to minimize decoding errors. For RTTY contesting, I use N1MM with MMTTY and 2Tone.

73, Jim K9YC