> On 2/3/2014 10:25 AM, Gary Smith wrote:
> > I haven't worked RTTY since 1982 or so and have a K3. I've read the
> > info here:http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_operating_tips.htm#RTTY  and
> > then the section on RTTY operation without a computer. And the pages
> > suggested in the manual.
>
> I've done this, but don't recommend it except when a computer is not
> available. A much better option is a P3 with the VGA module, which
> includes the ability to connect a USB keyboard via the P3. This setup
> provides very good display of decoded RTTY, CW, and PSK31 on the VGA
> display, the ability to send from the keyboard, and a bunch of memories.
> It uses the decoder in the K3, which is a VERY good one.
>
> A lot has changed about RTTY operation since 1982 (I did it then too).
> There are excellent software applications that generate both AFSK and
> FSK, and provide excellent decoding of signals with flutter and other
> distortions. MMTTY is VERY widely used, and there are several others. If
> you're running either WriteLog or N1MM, you can add a decoder called
> 2Tone to MMTTY, which allows you to have multiple decoders running at
> the same time. This can help a lot to minimize decoding errors.
>
> When I want to work a DXpedition, I use the combination of MMTTY and he
> P3 for decoding, again to minimize decoding errors. For RTTY contesting,
> I use N1MM with MMTTY and 2Tone.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Jim,

I'd love a P3 but at this time it's not likely unless I win the big
one. I'm parent wrangling a 97 year old at the moment and have
stopped work to do so, so my income is zero & I'm living off savings.
That said, I'm always looking for the right deal to come by on a used
one, just haven't found it yet.

I just downloaded MMTTY and will see what I can do with it with my
computer. I sure do appreciate the advice. & BTW, back in 82 I was
using an Apple II+ with integer basic and one of those huge cards
inside to decode RTTY & CW. That card & computer worked really well.
Don't remember who made it but I sold that computer & a 72 BMW 3.0
CSL for going back to college money. Wish I had both of those right
now!

73,

Gary
KA1J