Jeremy,

Yes, you should be doing the resistance checks with no power applied.
Inexpensive ohmmeter? Well, if it is a digital multimeter in resistance mode, you should be OK, but i it is an analog VOM or VTVM, it may not be showing you the real picture because the voltage may be sufficient to turn on semiconductor junctions.

73,
Don W3FPR