On 2/15/2014 4:14 AM, Joel Black wrote:
The reason I ask is that I have lately been using an E-MU 0204 for sound card modes. I've been thinking about purchasing either a Navigator or a microHAM Digi Keyer II. This is where I think I may be wrong in my thinking - the SignaLink USB has only mono receive capability. When working split, is there any reason why I have to be able to decode both the DX (or split station [i.e. W1AW/x]) and the calling station?

While it might be helpful to decode signals on your TX frequency when working split, you would need another instance of MMTTY (or whatever decode software you use). I am a serious contester, and active DXer, mostly CW, but also SSB and RTTY, and while I often listen to my TX frequency, I've never tried to decode it.

FWIW, I've never seen the virtue in dedicated interfaces like the Microham stuff, and they sure are complicated to set up. It IS a good move to use a decent USB audio interface, the EMU is overkill for digital modes, but a good choice for bandscope display (but a P3 is MUCH better). The Signalink has its limitations (mono, and Pin One Problems), but it's bought and paid for, so I'd stick with it and spend your bucks in Watsonville.

It isn't clear whether you have the P3 yet and only need to add the SVGA. If you're not a contester but you are a DXer, you'll find the P3 very helpful in figuring out how the DX is working the pileup, but the SVGA does not help with that. It does add some PSK and RTTY functionality, but I'd rather get that from the computer.

If you already have a P3, go for the KPA500. You'll need SOME tuner with it unless your antennas are flat, but it works fine with a manual tuner that can handle the power. Before the KAT500s were available, I used the excellent Ten Tec 229 and 238 tuners. They go used for $275 - $325, and would get you through until you have the bucks for a KAT500.

73, Jim K9YC