Dan Schieler wrote:

I have recently started
noticing distorted or "buzzing" riding on type of the audio.  This is
most audible on CW with strong signals, but I can also her it on SSB
voice signals as well.  <snip>
 I hear it most pronounced when using the 100W
amp lid, but I can also hear it when using the qrp lid.

This could be a long shot, but maybe it's the old 'magnetic field pickup' problem. When I first added the KPA100 to my K2, I noticed that the sensitivity to AC magnetic fields increased. Who knows why!

I had originally had a problem from my antenna rotor control box with the QRP K2, so I moved it. When I got the 100w lid, I had to move it again.

So, how far is your K2 from a linear power supply, rotor control, or anything with a transformer or motor in it? Elecraft has a mod (named after me, K2VCOSHLDKT) that will greatly reduce sensitivity to such fields, but if you haven't installed this mod then you should keep all such magnetic sources at least 18" away from the K2.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco